Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Finally... the tally!

Hello all! I would like to let everyone know that I finally remembered to bring my notebook to the computer, and I can finally give everyone that summation of donations that I promised like 2 weeks ago! Before I state the facts, I would like to share with everyone this quote, from a book I read while on the beach in Zanzibar, that pretty much summed up my feelings during the most aggravating of moments at the camp. However aggravating, it was one of the biggest learning experiences of my life.

From A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, by Eric Newby (his recount of a trek into Nuristan, circa 1950)
"Mustering this sad, mutinous little force, I drove them before me up the Linar Groge, cursing the lot of them. It was not difficult for me to muster up a rage at this moment. All of a sudden I felt that revulsion against an alien way of life that anyone who travels in remote places experiences from time to time. I longed for clean clothes, the company of people who meant what they said, and did it. I longed for a hot bath and a drink. "

Total Donations: $925

$77 Tree Planting - Each family/tent received 2 trees, 5 different types amongst 154 trees

$50 Shosho Basket Group start-up for supplies

$87 Nursery School
- Blackboard, Chalk, Erasers, Teaching materials/books, Charts

$14 Covered Samuel, Camp Chairman's family's hospital bills for his wife and baby (had malaria and diarrhoea, respectively)

$13 Supplies for Welcome Sign for camp (plywood and paint)

$530 Construction materials and labor for Community Center (two room, 9 foot by 18 foot space with two access doors and one window)

$135 Construction materials for miscellaneous chairs, desk, and shelves for Community Center

$15 Bank international withdrawal fees, transportation to get supplies

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Pictures to come one week from today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: